My husband and I get a produce box once a week in the months of April through November. We get a lot of zucchini, squash and blueberries at this time of year, and I was looking for something different to do with all that zucchini– so I re-invented a favorite blueberry muffin recipe. Mine is vegan, high fiber, gluten free, has no added sugars. And delicious.
- 1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 2 tbsp flaxseed meal mixed with 4 tbsp water
- 1 medium zucchini grated or shredded in a food processor
- 2 medium sized very ripe bananas, smashed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 cups buckwheat flour (or just use a basic gluten free flour like Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
Preheat oven to 350 °F.
In large bowl, combine together all wet ingredients and stir well.
In separate bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients until combined. Add dry ingredients to wet until you get a thick batter.
Drop about 1/4 cup batter into 24 greased muffins tins, or use paper liners if you prefer.