When I first became vegan, I of course already had celiac disease– and for a long time assumed that pancakes were something of an off-limits food for me. Obviously, the pancakes I had known were filled with flour, sugar, usually eggs– all ingredients I tried to avoid. Plus, they always made me crash mid-morning or more likely 10 minutes later…..Pancakes the way I knew them growing up were the type of food that just made me feel hungrier after I ate them.
Recently I have run across some great pancake recipes here: http://www.rickiheller.com/ (Sugar-free! grain-free! vegan!)
Pumpkin Protein Pancakes
- 2 tbsp canned pumpkin
- 1/2 of a medium banana
- 1 chia seed egg (combine 1 tbsp chia seeds with 2 tbsp warm water)
- 1 scoop Raw Protein Powder (I use Garden of Life)
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed meal
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor or coffee/spice mill until smooth.
- Heat pan (or griddle) over medium heat; coat with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour batter onto the pan/griddle.
- Cook each pancake for 2-3 minutes and then flip. Cook on the other side for about 1 minute.
- Serve with your favorite toppings. (I like coconut nectar or berries!)
Makes 2-3 pancakes
P.S. This recipe is part of Ricki Heller’s latest Wellness Weekend, Check out more here :